Monday, June 4, 2012

2 Min. Epis

Source


Pronounced munsh-pilon, in Kreyol, a pestle and mortar has been around for centuries for medicinal purposes and for cooking. Used to grind, crush and pound herbs together this ancient tool is still being used today. I remember being called into the kitchen as a child and having the task of mashing the herbs and seasoning together for my mom to use. 

Using a blender or food processor is often used in place of a pestle and mortar but using one actually gives one more control over the texture of the herbs and seasoning being pounded. I decided to write about a munsh-pilon because I ran out of Epis/marinade but needed some to marinate and tenderize the meat I was preparing. I pulled out my trusty wooden munsh-pelon/pestle and mortar from the back of the pantry. My mom would be proud.


Here's a 2 minute recipe for Epis/Marinage by hand, the old fashion way.




Ingredients:

1 wooden pestle and mortar (used primarily for softer ingredients/herbs)
1 large garlic clove
3 pinches of salt
1/8 cup of cilantro
3 cloves
1/16 cup of onions


Directions:

Pound, pound, pound until a wet paste (Literally for a minute or more).




**FYI: Garlic tends to linger in wooden mortars so to get the smell out just clean with lime juice or scrub with lime wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment